Camerton Old Pit was opened in 1781 under James Stephens, the owner of Camerton Manor, and sunk to a depth of 921 ft. Old Pit was closed for coal-winding circa 1898 but remained open as a airway and escape route for New Pit. In 1930 Old Pit was closed and capped, two years after Camerton was joined underground to Braysdown Colliery nearly two miles to the south-west. The mineshaft caps can still be seen in the ground and a now wooded, colliery spoil heap known locally as 'Old Pit Batch' is still evident. The site of the shaft is marked by a sculpture of a miner.
Camerton New Pit was sunk half a mile to the east of 'Old Pit', in the years between 1781-1800. The New Pit shaft was deepened to 1818 ft and by 1928 Camerton was joined underground to Braysdown Colliery. Although New Pit survived the difficult years of the 1930s to become an asset in wartime, and eventually closed in 1950. Concrete blocks of the headgear and capped shafts survive, in the undergrowth. The canteen survives as a dwelling and remnants of the workshops walls are still standing. The remains of the railway are still visible. This was introduced in 1880 when sidings were extended from Camerton Station to New Pit. A tramway had been built circa 1880 to Meadgate coal depot by an incline worked by a 50hp endless-rope haulage motor.