You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



West Lung is an underground area of semi worked-out quarry chambers to Spring Quarry, a Bath Stone quarry owned by Bath and Portland Stone Company, probably operational since the 1840s. In December 1940 Spring Quarry was one of four quarries in the Corsham area requisitioned by the Ministry of Aircraft Production. On the day of requisition, the quarriers were informed that they were no longer required and the quarry workings were abandoned. Part of Spring Quarry was converted for an underground aircraft engine factory and West Lung was allocated for use by Dowty Aviation of Cheltenham. However, the Dowty Works in West Lung were never developed.

West Lung covers an area of 2,115 metres square, comprising tunnels and chambers with supporting pillars of stone and loose rubble covering the floor and working pits. Also present are eight standing quarry cranes, various tools, narrow-gauge tracks for stone-removal trucks, and some historic graffiti in the area. Some of the equipment dates to the 19th century. The graffiti includes calculations related to quarrying, quarrymen's signatures, and one that states: "War commenced on Sept 3rd 1939".

In 1954 Spring Quarry was bought by the government and the northeast area, previously the aircraft engine factory, allocated for conversion into a Central Government War Headquarters, which was designed to accommodate 4000 military and government staff, including the Prime Minister and key cabinet officials, in the event of nuclear conflict during the Cold War. Construction took place between 1957 and 1959 but did not include West Lung, which was retained as an undeveloped area to help air circulation in the underground areas.

The quarry workings at West Lung is a Scheduled Monument. For the designation record of this site please see the National Heritage List for England.

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.