You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

PRIME MINISTERS ROOMS AND OPERATIONS ROOMS

DESCRIPTION + /

The Prime Minister's and Operations Rooms would have provided operational rooms and accommodation for the Prime Minister at the Central Government War Headquarters in the event of nuclear conflict during the Cold War.

The series of underground rooms are part of Spring Quarry, a Bath stone quarry, which had been requistioned by the Ministry of Aircraft Production in 1940 to be used as a underground factory for aeroplane engine production. The factory closed in 1945 and in 1954 Spring Quarry was bought by the government. The northeast area was allocated for convertion into a Central Government War Headquarters designed to accommodate 4000 military and government staff, including the Prime Minister and key cabinet officials in the event of nuclear conflict during the Cold War. Building work started in 1957 and much of the major work had been completed by 1959.

The Prime Minister's Rooms comprise two adjacent rooms, about 6m square in plan, numbered 34 and 35. Room 35, to the north, is the inner chamber, reached only through room 34. The rooms are fitted with an internal telephone and bell system. The map viewing room and operations room are across a corridor to the south of the Prime Minister's rooms. The observation, or control room (Room 45) overlooks the large map viewing room (Room 44) and two small storerooms adjoining this to the south, numbered 44A and 44B.

The Central Government War Headquarters was de-commissioned during the early 1990s and de-classified in 2004.

The Prime Minister's and Operations Rooms are a Scheduled
Monument. For the designation record of this site please see the National Heritage List for England.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.