You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

BLOCK F BLETCHLEY PARK

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  GIFFORD HOUSE
DESCRIPTION + /

Site of Block F which formed part of the Government Code and Cipher School at Bletchley Park. The Block was constructed in 1943 to the same spider design as Block D (Monument HOB UID 1525316) but had 16 spurs of equal length off a central corridor. At the southern end of the building two of the spurs were arranged as part of an E-shaped annexe. It was a single storey building constructed of a reinforced concrete frame with brick walls and a concrete slab roof. The annexe had a steel frame, brick walls and reinforced concrete slab roof.

Block F housed the 'Newmanry' which deciphered the Fish series of encrypted teleprinter transmissions used by German Commanders in Italy to high command in Berlin. This led to the development of the world's first electronic computer Colossus, which was installed in May 1944. Block H (Monument HOB UID 1525338) was built in September 1944 as an annexe to the 'Newmanry' and housed six Colossi. The rest of the block was occupied by the Air Section, including the German Air Section and the Military Section. Both sections were involved with non-Enigma codes and intelligence interpretation.

Following the departure of the Government Code and Cipher School in 1946 the building was retained for use by Government Communications Headquarters. From 1949 it was used as dormitory facilities for the General Post Office and later renamed Gifford House. A cinema was installed in one of the spurs in 1955. It was demolished by British Telecommunications in 1987.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.