You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

COASTAL DEFENCE/CHAIN HOME LOW STATION M10

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  BEACHY HEAD ROTOR STATION 'HEB'
DESCRIPTION + /

The site of a Coastal Defence/Chain Home Low (CD/CHL) radar station at Beachy Head. It was constructed in spring 1941 by the British Army to detect approaching ships and aircraft during the Second World War. CD/CHL sites comprised a brick or concrete operations block with an aerial gantry mounted on the roof and a separate standby set house for the reserve power. Staff were billeted where possible, but some stations had a small layout of domestic hutting situated within one mile of the site. The station closed after the Second World War. In 1952 the Air Ministry built a centrimetric early warning (CEW) radar station at the site as part of the Rotor programme to modernise the United Kingdom's radar defences. It was fitted with one Type 14 Mk. 9 and one Type 14 Mk. 8 plan positioning radar heads and two Type 13 Mk. 6 height finder radar heads mounted on plinths and 25 feet gantries, and a AN/FPS3 array for long-range radar. The site was equipped with a guardhouse designed to resemble a bungalow, which gave access to a single-storey, underground R1 operations block. The station was put on standby in 1957 and closed in 1960. In the 1960s the bunker was stripped of its equipment and closed, the guardhouse was occupied by the police and the remaining surface features were removed. The guardhouse was demolished in 1996. By 2001 the bunker had been sealed and is the only surviving feature at the site.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.