You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print   | More

CHAIN HOME LOW STATION CHL07B

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  RAF TRULEIGH, TRULEIGH HILL ROTOR STATION 'SNG'
DESCRIPTION + /

The site of a Royal Air Force Chain Home Low radar station at Truleigh Hill established by June 1940. It provided early warning of low-flying enemy aircraft approaching the Brighton area of the south coast during the Second World War, and formed part of the radar warning systems for the key 11 Group RAF Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain. Chain Home Low sites typically comprised two gantries carrying the transmitter and receiver aerial arrays, a transmitter and receiver hut, a standby set house for the reserve power, and a general purposes hut. Defence measures installed at radar stations included Light Anti-Aircraft gun emplacements, pillboxes, road blocks and air raid shelters. Aerial photography from 1976 shows that partial remains of the original station survive. This includes the transmission block shell and aerial bases at TQ 2244 1062, building bases at TQ 2266 1062, an aerial plinth at TQ 2266 1078, parchmarks indicating a receiver block at TQ 2264 1084, further building bases at TQ 2220 1088, and a probable aerial plinth at TQ 2204 1074. In 1952 the radar station was reconstructed as part of the Rotor programme to modernise the United Kingdom's radar defences. It was fitted with Type 14 Mk. 7 radar mounted on a plinth and 25 feet gantry, and equipped with a single-storey, underground R2 operations block and a guardhouse designed to resemble a bungalow. It was decommissioned in 1958. The guardhouse and R2 operations block survive in good condition; the guardhouse is visible on modern photographs published on the internet in 2005 and 2009.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.