You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print   | More

CHAIN HOME STATION CH28

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  RAF HIGH STREET
DESCRIPTION + /

The site of a Royal Air Force Chain Home radar station at High Street, known as site CH28. It was established by 1940 to provide early warning of enemy aircraft approaching East Anglia and the southern North Sea. It was thus an important part of the country's early warning system during the Battle of Britain, when it fell within the crucial RAF FighterCommand's 11 group sector.
Chain Home stations commonly comprised transmission and receiver blocks, four 240ft timber receiver aerial towers, four 350ft steel transmitter aerial towers that stood on concrete pads, and other buildings such as dispersed accommodation huts, guard huts and stand-by set houses for reserve power. From 1940 defensive measures were installed at radar stations, including Light Anti-Aircraft gun emplacements, pill boxes, road blocks and air raid shelters. The High Street site was divided into two parts- the transmitter site (located at TM 410 720) and receiver site (located at TM 407 715). In the early 1950s the station was remodelled and technically restored as part of the Rotor programme. The station was disused by the 1960s, when the transmitter pylons were demolished. Aerial photography from 1973 shows that the receiver block and a full set of four aerial bases survive, plus four separate ancillary buildings. The transmission block with four sets of aerial bases and four ancillary buildings also survive. A further, single set of aerial bases is visible at TM 410 716. The western and southern edges of the transmission site have since been built over.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.