You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print   | More

ASHCHURCH BASE VEHICLE DEPOT

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  DEFENCE STORAGE AND DISTRIBUTION CENTRE ASHCHURCH
DESCRIPTION + /

Ashchurch Second World War and subsequent military central vehicle depot. The site is bounded by the Ashchurch and Evesham railway (Linear 967) to the north, the associated accommodation camp to the west (SO 93 SW 115), the A46 road to the south and the B4079 to the east. It extends over an area that measures 1430m long by up to 670m wide. The site has been an Army depot since 1939 and is visible under construction on aerial photographs taken in 1940. In 1943 it comprised eleven very large rectilinear vehicle storage and repair buildings plus a large rail terminus situated to their north-east, but this was replaced by more large rectilinear buildings by 1954. A number of separate circular possible fuel stores are dispersed between the buildings, plus a large number of assorted vehicles. The site forms the focus of the World War II Ashchurch Vulnerable Position (VP 804) together with other contemporary sites nearby; the depot's accommodation camp (SO 93 SW 115), a military camp or storage depot at Northway (SO 93 SW 116) and the Northway Prisoner of War Camp (Camp 1009; SO 93 SW 111), plus the camp's sewage works (SO 93 SW 114). The area was defended by a ring of light anti-aircraft gun emplacements (see SO 93 SW 108, 109, 117 and 126, plus SO 93 SE 65). The site has continued in use as a vehicle depot and in 2005 is the Ministry of Defence's primary vehicle storage and distribution site.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.