You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

KIRTON IN LINDSEY AIRFIELD

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  RAF KIRTON IN LINDSEY
DESCRIPTION + /

A former military airfield site used in both World Wars and post-war Army barracks, now closed. It was initially opened in 1916 and was closed after World War One in 1919. With the onset of World War Two the airfield was rebuilt and reopened in 1940, with permanent accommodation, three Type C aircraft hangars and four Blister aircraft hangar variants. It was equipped with grass landing area and 10 hardstandings. Its main role during World War Two was as a fighter station covering central and north-eastern England. It was part of 12 group Fighter Command. Although not as heavily engaged as 11 Group in the south-east, aircraft from Kirton took part in the Battle of Britain, for example protecting convoys during the battle. A large number of units used the airfield including American "Eagle Squadron" volunteers who fought alongside the British before the United States had entered the war. After World War Two until 1965 the Royal Air Force used the aifield for a varity of training units, often ground based. In 1966 the airfield was transferred to the British Army as Rapier Barracks. 2004 it reverted to the RAF as the Air Control Centre, home to a deployable early warning and air control radar unit. In 2013 it was announced that the former flying field and technical area and barracks were to be sold. The officers’ mess and married quarters accommodation is to be retained as RAF accommodation. The site was said to still be a near complete example of an "Expansion Period" Royal Air Force base at that time.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.