You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



An early aircraft factory and former military airfield, used in both World Wars, now reverted to use as an aircraft factory. The site began as an aircraft factory in 1910, founded by Sir George White. Sited close to the Great Western Railway line, it was used as an Aircraft Acceptance Park during World War One. This involved the final assembly and flight testing of aircraft sent from other production sites.
The military airfield facilities were expanded in the interwar years of the 1920s and 30s, and in 1929 it became part of an operational fighter base. By 1936 the base had a full range of buildings including married quarters, barracks, mess facilities, workshops, a parachute store and technical buildings. During the Battle of Britain, it was an important "sector" airfield within RAF Fighter Command 10 Group and as such was provided with an operations room and staff; 3 fighter squadrons were also based here at various times during the Battle. Later in World War Two it was used by Transport Command. By 1944 it had two concrete runways, and a variety of hangars, including the wooden World War One Belfast Truss and "new" aircraft hangars (type B1).
After World War Two the base continued to be used by the Royal Air Force until 1957, thereafter reverting to use for the aircraft industry (currently British Aerospace). Alterations have been made to the airfield layout post war. Two world War One period aircraft hangars are extant (please see ST 58 SE 39/Monument Number 1395370 and ST 58 SE 40/Monument Number 1395375). A number of the interwar buildings were reported to be extant in 1992, however at that date part of the site was threatened with demolition.

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.