A military airfield site, now known as Marne Barracks. The airfield at Catterick is the only example of a First World War Home Defence Station with original built fabric relating to the original flying field (though the World War One aircraft hangars have been reclad, please see SE 29 NW 38). The airfield was opened in 1914 for pilot training and the defence of North East England. The initial unit at he base was "A Flight" of 76 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. The airfield was remodelled in the interwar years, specifically in the late 1920s and latterly as part of the RAFs "expansion period" in 1935. The rebuilding was mostly concerned with the technical site and with domestic buildings (see SE 29 NW 39 to SE NW 43. By 1938 the airfield was a key fighter station, provided with an asphalt runway and defensive installations. During opening phases of the Second World War the base was used to protect convoys as well as protect the north east of England in general. During the battle of Britain as part of Group 13 Catterick repelled German attacks from occupied Denmark and Norway. Later in the war the airfield was transferred to 12 Group Fighter Command. Events in the war meant that it was relegated to a second line airfield.
After the Second World War the site was used for ground based RAF units (including The RAF Regiment). The airfield was not considered suitable for jet aircraft because was not possible to extend the runway to the length required for jets. In 1959 it became the base for the RAF Regiment Fireman, Trade Group 22. In the late 1950s/ early 1960s the RAF Driver Training School was also based at RAF Catterick.
In 1994 the site was transferred to Army use as an outstation of the main Catterick Garrison. The airfield site includes a scheduled Motte and Bailey Castle, (see SE 29 NE 3), upon which an RAF gun emplacement was constructed (see SE 29 NE 15) and Roman remains have been discovered in the barracks/ technical site area (see SE 29 NW 3).