A tower house is documented at Newhall in 1275 when the manor was in the hands of the Audley family. The 'New Hall appears to have been built around 1227 when this land came into the hands of the Audleys, and may have been fortified from this earlier date. Geoffry son of Geoffry Griffin of Barberton held 2 caracutes of land from Nicholas of Audley in return for 3 men at Newhall in times of war. The castle was still in use in 1363 under the Audley family. Meadows referred to as 'Newhall Parke' in documents of the 16th and 17th century may evidence the existence of a park associated with the castle.
Leland recorded that a place of the Lords of Audley in Cheshire between Combermere and Nantwich was now down, but that there was moats (or mottes?) and fair water in the later 16th century. In the later 17th century Dugdale also noted remains of a fortification at Newhall, although nothing was still evident by the time Ormerond published his history of Cheshire in 1819.
A series of earthworks consiting of a circular central mound surrounded by a larger, sub-square ditch that is partially infilled and continues at least as far as the road if not further on the eastern side may be the site of this castle. The tithe award map suggests part of the site may have functioned as part of a watermill and mill-pool complex.