You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

BROOKWOOD CEMETERY

DESCRIPTION + /

Public cemetery founded by the London Necropolis and National Mausoleum Company in 1852 for the burial of London's dead, becoming the largest in England. It was used by the south and central London parishes and also different religious denominations and was initially known as Woking Necropolis. By the end of the 19th century it was variously known as the Brookwood Necropolis, Brookwood Cemetery or Necropolis Cemetery. However, by the early 20th century the name Brookwood Cemetery had been established. The cemetery was linked to London by a railway line with two stations within the cemetery and a station built at Westminster Bridge Road near Waterloo. The cemetery covers an area of 145 hectares and may have been designed by Henry Abraham or more likely, Sydney Smirke who replaced Abraham in 1853, and was laid out and planted to J C Loudon's principles. It contains buildings which may have been designed by William Tite or again Sydney Smirke, with landscaping and planting by Robert Donald. The layout is based on a grid pattern and is split into two unequal halves. The northern half containing Catholic, Nonconformist, Mohammedan and Parsee areas. To the south is the Anglican area which was was consecrated on 7th November 1854. A military cemetery was laid out during the 1920s and was extended during the Second World War. This is sub-divided into national zones including American, Canadian, Turkish, Dutch and French. The Glades of Remembrance, an area for cremated remains was opened in 1950. Many of the tombs and commemorative monuments are listed.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.