You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

CITY ROAD CEMETERY

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  INTAKE CEMETERY, SHEFFIELD TOWNSHIP BURIAL GROUND
DESCRIPTION + /

City Road Cemetery is a public cemetery opened in 1881 by the Sheffield Township Burial Board. It was designed by local architects Messrs M E Hadfield and Son. Originally known as the Sheffield Township Burial Ground or Intake Cemetery (City Road was formerly called Intake Road), it has separate Church of England, Nonconformist and Roman Catholic burial grounds. It was designed with an extensive range of buildings including a gateway, lodges, offices, boardroom and Church of England and Nonconformist chapels. The Church of England burial ground was consecrated by the Archbishop of York on 28th March 1881, and the Roman Catholic burial ground was consecrated by Bishop Cornthwaite on 9th June 1881. In 1889 plans by Charles Hadfield, son of M E Hadfield, were approved for the construction of a Catholic chapel. Commissioned by the Duke of Norfolk, St Michael's Chapel was consecrated on 11th October 1900. In the same year the cemetery was taken over by Sheffield City Council and following this became known as City Road Cemetery. In 1903 Charles Hadfield and his son Charles Matthew Hadfield designed a new crematorium to be built as an annexe to the Nonconformist chapel. The crematorium was officially opened by the Lord Mayor on 5th April 1905. The cemetery was extended to the south-east in 1935. Additional extensions and a chapel were built to the crematorium in the mid 20th century and the Church of England chapel was demolished in 1982. The cemetery contains a war memorial designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and a Belgian War Memorial commemorating Belgian soldiers and refugees who died in Sheffield during the First World War, both erected in circa 1920.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.