You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print   | More

MONUMENT NO. 1336596

DESCRIPTION + /

A spalling floor and possible site of a crushing mill at Greenburn Mine. Field investigations by English Heritage in 2000 identified a massive stone-built platform 6.5 metres high, constructed at some time between 1848 and 1861 to support the mine's main spalling floor. The floor held one stone-built building, now in ruinous condition, which probably originated as a timber structure, covering a set of 'grates'. It also probably held a large timber shed, perhaps roofed in corrugated iron, which provided cover for those involved in breaking up the lumps of ore by hand. Both these structures, as well as the platform itself, are shown on a schematic plan thought to have been made before 1861, which is now held in Cumbria Record Office. Until circa 1885, most ore arrived at the floor by hand-pushed tramway from Engine Shaft (NY 20 SE 13). Once broken into fist-sized pieces the ore could by fed into a crushing mill on the level below, powered by a large water wheel (NY 20 SE 37). The mine went out of use circa 1885, but the spalling floor was evidently used again when activity recommenced in 1906-8 and 1912-3. In this phase, ore was transported from the middle level on the Pave York Vein via an inclined tramway (respectively NY 20 SE 18 and 27). A stone-built chute was constructed to take processed ore down to two precipitation tanks at the base of the platform, which implies that some form of crushing mill may have been sited on the platform at this time.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.