You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print   | More

HALESOWEN ABBEY

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  ST MARYS ABBEY
DESCRIPTION + /

The remains of Halesowen Abbey. King John gave the manor of Hales to Peter des Roches, Bishop of Winchester in 1214, and in 1218 the site was colonised by canons from the existing Premonstratensian house at Welbeck in Nottinghamshire. The order followed an austere and secluded life and became known as 'white canons' due to the wearing of undyed habits.

In 1536, during the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII, the abbey and its possessions passed to the crown, and two years later the monastic buildings were partly demolished. The site of the abbey was granted by Henry VIII to Sir John Dudley who passed the site to his servant George Tuckey. There are some standing remains of the abbey buildings and others have been incorporated into the walls of farm buildings belonging to Manor Abbey Farm. The north barn of the farm dates to 1672 or shortly after, and the rest of the farm is of a 19th century date.

The monastic buildings are situated within a rectangular precinct, which was originally defined by fish-ponds to the north, south, south-west, and by a water-filled moat. The precinct measured an area of 170 by 100 metres. The monastic church, built of local sandstone, is sited in the north part of the inner precinct and its standing remains are thought to be of early 13th century date. A range of agricultural buildings overlie the south wall of the church and north part of the cloister. The 17th century north barn follows the same alignment as the church and has been partly built from reused medieval masonry and timbers. Excavations have further shown that the barn incorporates standing remains of the monastic church. Belonging to the south range of the cloister, are the standing remains of the south wall of the frater and its undercroft. To the south east of the church is a two-storeyed building which was constructed in the second half of the 13th century. This may have been the abbot's lodging or infirmary. This site is in the care of English Heritage.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.