A lighthouse on St. Mary's Island (also known as Bait Island) in Whitley Bay, built in 1897-8. It ceased to be an active lighthouse in 1984 and by 1994 it had been converted into a natural history museum and visitor centre.
The lighthouse is 38 metres/ circa 120 foot high and constructed of brick covered with cement render. The architect was J. Livingstone Miller. This lighthouse was needed to replace an older lighthouse at Tynemouth Priory. Its initial lighting method was by paraffin vapour and it was not converted to electrical light until 1977. The lightkeeper's house was adjacent: this was built out of stone and was linked to the lighthouse tower by a covered passage. Prior to the construction of a causeway in 1929, low-tide access to the lighthouse was by stepping stones.